17 Goals to Transform Our World
Adopted In 2015, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development has 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs or Global Goals) with 169 measurable targets. The Agenda is universal, inclusive and indivisible, and calls for action from all countries and companies to improve the lives of people everywhere.
Business & the SDGs
The UN Global Compact encourages businesses worldwide to adopt sustainable and socially responsible policies, and to report on their implementation. It identifies business opportunities to advance the SDGs through Action Platforms, the Blueprint for Business Leadership, Project Breakthrough for Innovation, and other research.
Impact Investing & the Global Goals
Many impact investors realize the value of aligning their investments with the SDGs. Doing so provides much-needed resources to achieving this global vision of people, planet and prosperity. It also creates a useful framework to contextualize and communicate impact objectives to various stakeholder groups.
Monitoring and data
The role of business and investing in achieving the SDGs will be more complex than abiding to sets of rules. Companies can use data monitoring and set baselines for local and regional goals, meetings needs for sustainability in their communities through the power of data.
- Follow our Medium Blog on Advancing the SDGs
- PwC has published multiple documents and guidelines for implementing the SDGs into your business https://www.pwc.com/gx/en/services/sustainability/sustainable-development-goals.html
- The Better Business, Better World report shows how companies can open 60 key market “hot spots,” tackle social, environmental challenges, and re-build trust with society. http://report.businesscommission.org/
- The Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development publishes annual reports covering the SDGs as business opportunity http://www.oecd.org/dac/development-co-operation-report-20747721.htm
- The International Conference on Sustainable Development is an annual meeting dedicated to identifying and sharing ways to support the SDGs from the private sector http://ic-sd.org/
- SDG Compass advises companies on how to align, measure and manage their strategies to the SDGs. https://sdgcompass.org/
- SDG data, indicators, and meetings related to monitoring and data https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/ and the Open SDG Data Hub https://unstats-undesa.opendata.arcgis.com/
- The UN’s World Data Forum is a regularly-held event for intensifying cooperation among the groups tracking statistics related to the SDGs https://undataforum.org/WorldDataForum/
- The SDG Philanthropy Platform, run by the Foundation Center, tracks philanthropic funding of the SDGs http://sdgfunders.org/home/lang/en/
Who We Follow
- @SDGCounting for the latest updates in the world of SDG data and information exchange
- @DevCooperation is the Global Partnership to help nations, business, and organizations work together better for a sustainable future
- The International Institute for Sustainable Development Reporting Services is a key resource in tracking sustainable development, the SDGs, and the latest news in the UN- @IISDRS
- SDG Philanthropy Platform: @PhilSDGs
- UN Global Compact @globalcompact
- @UNDataForum for event coverage
- International Institute for Sustainable Development @IISD_news
- @Devex is a media platform for the global development community
- @NextBillion explores the connection between development and enterprise